Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Key Durham Prosecutor Withdraws from Danchenko Case Less Than 2 Months Before Trial

A top prosecutor for special counsel John Durham has withdrawn from the criminal case against Igor Danchenko, who was a source for the anti-Trump Steele dossier, less than two months before the trial is set to begin.

Assistant special counsel Andrew DeFilippis withdrew from the case, according to a filing late Sunday by Mr. Durham. The filing did not offer any more details, and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The high-profile departure comes at an odd time in the case, with Mr. Danchenko’s trial scheduled to start Oct. 16 and both sides mired in a fight over whether his lawyers can use classified information.

Mr. DeFilippis oversaw the failed prosecution of former Hillary Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann, who was charged with lying to the FBI. In May, a jury in Washington concluded that Mr. Sussmann was not guilty after about six hours of deliberation.

Mr. DeFilippis was also a key prosecutor in Mr. Durham’s case against Kevin Clinesmith, a former FBI lawyer who pleaded guilty to falsifying evidence to justify investigators’ continued surveillance of Carter Page, an adviser to former President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign.

It is not publicly known if Mr. Durham has any more cases pending or if Mr. DeFilippis would continue to be involved in those cases.

Mr. Danchenko last fall was charged with repeatedly lying to the FBI about how he compiled information for British ex-spy Christopher Steele’s salacious and unverified dossier of now-debunked accusations tying Mr. Trump to Russia. He has pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Danchenko is accused of intentionally misleading the FBI when he denied in a 2017 interview that his primary source for a section of the dossier was Charles H. Dolan Jr., a former aide to Hillary Clinton.

Mrs. Clinton, the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, lost the election to Mr. Trump.

Both sides have spent the summer fighting over the use and production of classified documents.

Earlier this month, Mr. Danchenko filed a motion signaling that he intends to use classified information in his defense. That motion was filed under seal and did not offer details on how the materials could help defense attorneys make their case.

Mr. Durham filed his own objection, also under seal, saying he opposed the “use, relevance and admissibility” of classified information.

The government has already provided Mr. Danchenko’s attorneys with 5,000 classified documents and 61,000 unclassified documents, according to a May court filing.

READ 43 COMMENTS
  • Thomas says:

    The Democraps are in charge and there will not be any further problems for slick Willie and Lying zHillary.

  • Dorothy says:

    I believe he was threatened by the mob who over took our country. That is the way a mob works. It is sickening how much power they have obtained.

  • Johnny LAW says:

    That’s bcuz Defliipis is a fkn RAT.

  • Bob R says:

    It would appear based upon DeFillipis’ record, he would be more suited as a “Defense Attorney!”

  • Mark says:

    Retire or go to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $2 million dollars.

  • TOP STORIES

    News

    In April 2024, after being locked up since August 2023, J6er Julio Baquero found out that he had Stage 4 cancer and, fortunately, was...

    News

    Nvidia has been on an impressive run the previous year, extending well into 2024 and showing no sign of waning, bringing hefty profits to...

    News

    CBS News was forced to remove a video from social media platform X on Wednesday after arguing it was an example of a “cheap...

    News

    A leftist MSNBC contributor has been raked over the coals for claiming Donald Trump is really the presidential candidate who needs to be helped...

    >