On Friday, four of the eight teenagers who were charged as adults in the beating death of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis at Rancho High School in Las Vegas on Nov. 1, appeared in court.
According to the Daily Mail, the judge ordered Dontral Beaver, 16, Gianni Robinson, 17, Damien Hernandez, 17, and Treavion Randolph, 16, to be held without bail at the Clark County Detention Center for their role in the incident and are expected in court again on Tuesday.
BREAKING: Jonathan Lewis, a white high school student, has passed away after being beaten to death by 15 thugs at his high school pic.twitter.com/mMs8lcBZEG
— Jack Poso 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) November 12, 2023
The other four arrested, who are all under 16, have a hearing scheduled for next month to determine if they will also be tried as adults.
A video of the brutal beating circulated on the internet earlier this month and showed a group of teens swarming Lewis inside an ally near the Rancho High School. He was found unresponsive and was brought back to the school.
When police arrived Lewis was promptly taken to the hospital while in critical condition, and was placed on life support before passing away as a result of injuries sustained in the beating.
Authorities said the fight started after a pair of wireless headphones was allegedly stolen from one of Lewis’ friends, and they agreed to meet in an ally and fight over it. Homicide Lt. Jason Johansson said, “As soon as a punch is thrown, ten subjects immediately swarm him.”
Lewis’s father said in a statement, “I hope there’s a way that can find forgiveness in their heart and find a way to be able to come to terms with what they’ve done.” He added, “I just love my children with all my heart, and it’s just unimaginable that we could ever come to this point.”
“I think there’s just a failure of all of humanity to recognize that we need to be teaching our youth how to coexist,” the father said.
Lewis’ family donated his organs after an autopsy was performed. A GoFundMe was also launched.