Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Beloved Tennis Player Dies After Collapse on Summerlin Court

Ryan Vannah was in the tiebreaker of a mixed doubles tennis match on Sunday afternoon at Red Rock Country Club when he dropped to a knee.

The 43-year-old, with a lifelong passion for the sport and whose teams at Red Rock Country Club had recently celebrated a pair of national championships, placed his hands on the hard court and lay down.

Doctors watching the match rushed to perform CPR, but after 55 minutes of medical attention, his heart never restarted.

Vannah’s family had a history of high blood pressure, and he was on medication. His sister, Tami Vannah Kang, said he never showed any signs he was not managing the health issue.

“He took impeccable care of his health,” she said. “He was so fit. He lifted weights. He looked like a bodybuilder to me. He was huge. We did not see this coming.”

Vannah Kang was called at 5:10 p.m. Sunday, moments after her brother collapsed, and found her sister-in-law, Dr. Catherine Vannah, among those trying to revive him.

It wasn’t until they got to Summerlin Hospital and Medical Center that she and her husband broke down crying.

Ryan Vannah died at Summerlin Hospital later that day. The doctor and emergency medical staff at Summerlin Hospital said they believe he was on the wrong medication for his blood pressure.

The coroner’s office had not ruled on an official cause and manner of death as of Tuesday.

Vannah was the youngest of four children, all raised in Las Vegas. He graduated from Durango High School, where he competed in the state tennis championships.

In a family full of attorneys and doctors, he pursued tennis full time after working in security and as an athletic trainer, his sister said. He also taught children at local elementary schools, strung other players’ rackets for extra cash and practiced at Red Rock, Darling Tennis Center and Life Time in Henderson.

“He was a big, giant teddy bear,” his sister said. “It only took him a minute to befriend even his opponents.”

Last week, the Red Rock Country Club team gathered to celebrate its second consecutive national championship in the United States Tennis Association League in the 40-and-over age group and the 18-and-over age group.

Vannah was on both teams when they captured titles last year, and his sister said he smiled brightly surrounded by his teammates and friends.

“He and my husband were both on the team,” Vannah Kang said. “That was fun to watch. We don’t think it’s ever been done before.”

‘Really sad day’

Friend and Red Rock head pro Sean Hubbard met Vannah two years ago after Vannah started playing seriously again. He said Vannah and his fiancée, Melissa Hicks, were beloved members of the tennis community.

Hubbard said that Sunday was the second time he had seen a player collapse on the courts. Another man collapsed on a Red Rock tennis court about eight years ago, he said.

“To see a friend go down like that, it’s definitely tough,” Hubbard said Monday. “For everyone in Las Vegas who played tennis with him, it was a really sad day.”

Integral member

Dan Michalski, a fellow recreational tennis player, said Vannah helped organize a party last month for more than 100 tennis players across the valley to celebrate after each player’s new ratings came out.

“He was a friend to anyone,” Michalski said. “The whole tennis community is really shaken by this.”

Michalski said he did not often compete against Vannah because Vannah was a better player, and he was shocked to think of someone in their 40s dying so suddenly.

“It’s a really a tough pill to swallow,” he said. “Especially when he was so vibrant and full of life, such an integral part of the community.”

Vannah is survived by his parents, Robert and Marsha Vannah, siblings Vannah Kang, Matt Vannah, Natalie Vannah Dunn, his fiancée, brothers-in-law Dr. Parminder Kang and Dave Dunn, sister-in-law Dr. Catherine Vannah, and 13 nieces and nephews.

A memorial service is planned for 10 a.m. Feb. 11 at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1801 S. Monte Cristo Way.

  • sherri says:

    we all know it was the clot-shot!!!!

  • william g munson says:

    Sounds like min-information here if they work on him for 55 minutes and his Heart never started How could he die at the Hospital later that day when he is already Deceased/?

  • Susan says:

    They are going to hide behind any existing medical issue no matter how irrelevant in order to not be held to account for the forced deadly jabs!
    Many Americans have High blood pressure, most people over the age of 40 are on Blood pressure meds, they do not drop dead!!
    And the fact that he was on blood pressure meds should have prevented a heart attack!

    Is the Deep State really going to get away with genocide?

  • He was probably on the right medication till he got vaxxed up, then it was the wrong one.

    Sorry Ryan V.,
    We regret to inform you that you have been randomly selected for early termination.
    Thank you for your participation,

    Tough luck

    Bill & Anthony

  • Trending Today


    Ray Epps’ lawyer has sent a letter to Fox News demanding a retraction over host Tucker Carlson airing more footage taken during the January...


    Former President Donald Trump has finally responded to talk about having Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis as his vice presidential pick in the 20924...


    A Florida former mayor resigned abruptly earlier this week because he disagreed with the “reckless” way the city council wanted to spend tax dollars,...


    President Biden accidentally commended China instead of Canada while praising the nation’s stance on migration on Friday. Biden made the gaffe during a speech...